Mayela has considerable experience as an economic advisor to government and business. Her work involves the application of quantitative analysis to measure the economic impacts of organisations, government policies and programs, and projects.
Mayela’s experience includes economic evaluation of contemporary issues using economy-wide models, cost-benefit analysis, environmental economics, industry analysis, project impact analysis and economic analysis of industry regulation.
Mayela's major projects have included:
- studies evaluating the economic impacts of research institutes using Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models
- studies in the health area, including work estimating the cost to the economy of productivity losses due to presenteeism in the workplace, a report estimating the costs of stress related absenteeism and presenteeism to the Australian economy and a study analysing the differences in health profile of employees across a number of industries and workers’ views on workplace health
- projects relating to the economics of the built environment including:
- regulatory impact statements and cost-benefit analyses of energy and water efficiency policies, including a recent cost-benefit analysis of BASIX
- studies analysing factors that influence productivity in the property and construction industry, including technology, regulation, and the automation and interoperability of property information systems
- studies measuring the impacts of key infrastructure projects to the Australian economy and providing advice on infrastructure funding
- studies assessing the costs of taxes and charges in the context of the overall cost of developing new housing and measuring the extent to which they contribute to lower affordability
- reports analysing affordability of buying and renting across major urban areas in Australia.
Prior to joining the firm, Mayela was a Director at the economic consulting firm Econtech and a Senior Economist with the Centre for International Economics (CIE).
Mayela has a Bachelor of Economics (Hons) from the Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico (ITAM), a Master of Business Administration from the Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM) and a Master of Economics from the University of Sydney.
- Medicines, Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2023
- Proposed ban of a third tranche of single-use plastic items Regulatory Impact Statement
- National Construction Code 2022: Decision RIS for a proposal to increase residential building energy efficiency requirements
- Barriers and enablers for rewarding consumers for access to flexible DER and energy use: Rapid evidence review
- NSW Bushfire Risk Management Research Hub evaluation
- Consumer costs and economic benefits for Renewable Energy Sector Board’s Plan
- Cost benefit analysis of proposed changes to the standards for energy use and thermal performance in BASIX
- National Construction Code 2022: Consultation RIS for a proposal to increase residential building energy efficiency requirements
- Minimum standards for residential rental properties
- Public Health Regulation 2022: Regulation Impact Statement
- Economic impact of the University of Sydney
- Benefits of foreign investment in real estate