Richard Lenton is Executive Director of ACIL Allen’s Brisbane Office, with over 30 years of experience advising businesses, industry bodies, governments and regulators.
Richard specialises in providing independent electricity market advice to a broad range of clients, acting as a trusted market adviser in studies of the Australian, Singapore and Philippine electricity markets. Richard provides advice:
- on the acquisition, divestment and development of power assets (generation and networks)
- for feasibility studies and assessments of wider economic impacts of new power projects (generation and networks)
- on the risks and opportunities inherent in electricity markets to assist clients in their regular business planning activities
- in support of regulatory determinations and investigations in the energy sector
- on how the electricity market is evolving and responding to changes in policy and the economy
- in support of power station business interruption and loss claim assessments.
Recent major ACIL Allen projects undertaken by Richard include:
- market due diligence for the development of a large number of wind and solar farm projects, as well as battery, pumped hydro and compressed air storage projects in Australia
- advising clients on the impact of the Singapore Government’s low emissions energy import policy on the Singapore electricity market, including the impact of the proposed Sun Cable project
- advising CuString Pty Ltd on the impact of the CopperString 2.0 transmission interconnector is projected to have on wholesale electricity market outcomes and broader economic benefits in the NEM as well as Mount Isa and the North West Minerals Province
- advising Energy Estate and HydroStor on the impact of their proposed Broken Hill Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage facility is projected to have on wholesale electricity market outcomes and broader economic benefits in the Broken Hill region
- providing advisory services to the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) when setting the Default Market Offer (DMO) for residential electricity consumers
- providing advisory services to estimate the wholesale energy costs for regulatory determinations for the Queensland Competition Authority (QCA) for electricity consumers on notified retail tariffs
- advising ElectraNet on the impact that its proposed SA to NSW interconnector (EnergyConnect) is projected to have on wholesale electricity market outcomes.
Richard has extensive experience advising private and government clients. Prior to joining ACIL Allen in 2000, Richard worked in the Queensland Government.
Richard was educated at Griffith University and the University of Queensland. He holds a Bachelor of Science (Honours) and a PhD in Applied Statistics.
- Modelling the settlement effects of Project Energy Connect
- Default Market Offer 2022-23: Wholesale energy and environment cost estimates for DMO 4 Final Determination
- Economic impacts of the Broken Hill A-CAES
- Copperstring economic technical report: Assessment of electricity market and economic impacts
- South Australia New South Wales Interconnector analysis
- Cost drivers of recent retail electricity prices for small NSW customers