Women in STEM Evaluation
Client: Department of Industry, Science and Resources
ACIL Allen was engaged by the Commonwealth Department of Industry, Science and Resources to support the Pathway to Diversity in STEM Review (link - https://www.industry.gov.au/science-technology-and-innovation/diversity-stem-review). Our team evaluated 9 women in STEM initiatives:
- Women in STEM and Entrepreneurship Grants (WiSE)
- Champions of Change STEM Group (CCC-STEM)
- Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE)
- Superstars of STEM
- Girls in STEM Toolkit (GiST)
- Women in STEM Ambassador (WiSA)
- STEM Equity Monitor
- Future You
- Elevate: Boosting Women in STEM (Elevate).
The evaluation found that the initiatives had positive impacts for participants, including increased awareness of and interest in STEM. However, the evaluation identified that girls and women continue to be underrepresented across all stages of the STEM pathway and that sustained cultural change will take further time. The report outlines opportunities to improve the policy and program measures in place to promote and support diversity in STEM, both at the initiative and system levels.