John is the Executive Director of ACIL Allen Consulting's Perth office, and is respected across business and governments in Western Australia and the Northern Territory as an economist, policy leader and senior executive.
Since starting at ACIL Allen, John has led projects for government departments and agencies, not-for-profit associations, and corporate clients on issues relating to strategy development, public policy development and evaluation, business case assessments, survey design and analysis, economic impact assessments and expert witness work. John’s advisory work also extends to the communication and ongoing advocacy for clients on an as needs basis.
A selection of recent key projects that John has led are detailed below.
- Evaluation of the Royalties for Regions Program, Special Inquiry into Government Projects and Programs (2017). This evaluation provided a detailed report and recommendations to the WA Government’s Special Inquirer for the future direction of the program.
- Economic Benefits and Risks of the Development of the Unconventional Gas Industry in the Northern Territory (2017). This project was a comprehensive economic study of the potential economic benefits and risks of the unconventional gas industry in the context of the Northern Territory. This study, and subsequent briefings to Government, provided critical evidence which ultimately supported the lifting of the moratorium in the Northern Territory in 2018.
- WA NDIS: Disability Services Strategic Plan (2016-2017). This project, undertaken for National Disability Services (WA), involved the development of a detailed strategic plan for the disability services sector to ensure that it is prepared for the full implementation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in WA.
John has more than 20 years experience working as an economist, policy leader and senior executive at the Commonwealth and WA Treasuries and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of WA. He is also a Non-Executive Director of the Committee for Perth (a leading policy think-tank focussed on promoting economic prosperity, sustainability and world-class amenity of Perth) and the Brightwater Care Group (one of Western Australia’s largest providers of accommodation and care services for the elderly and people with a disability).
John was educated at the University of Western Australia and holds a Bachelor of Economics with First Class Honours and a Master of Business Administration, and has been an Adjunct Professor at Curtin Business School. In recognition of his contribution to economics and the policy debate, John won a prestigious WA Business News 40under40 award in 2011.
- The economic impact of the Minerals Research Institute of Western Australia
- Petroleum development in the Great Australian Bight: A Preliminary view of the economic impact of development
- West-East Pipeline pre-feasibility study
- Economic contribution of the Western Rock Lobster industry
- The economic impacts of a potential shale gas development
- Economic impact assessment: The Ichthys LNG Project