John has extensive expertise in policy analysis, development and implementation and has successfully designed, managed and evaluated major government programs.
He has led or contributed to a wide range of consulting projects in science, innovation, education, health, and the environment, including:
- reviews of government research and innovation programs including the Cooperative Research Centres Program and NCRIS
- major strategic reviews of Invest Australia and the Australian Bureau of Statistics
- studies of factors influencing the availability of Australian science, medical and engineering skills
- reports on disability standards in communications, education and transport
- policy advice on energy efficiency programs and measures to control hazardous materials.
John’s experience includes representing Australia at the OECD and leading the OECD’s Division responsible for policy and program analysis in science, technology and innovation. He is a former Deputy Secretary and Chief Science Adviser in the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources, and Chairman of the Commonwealth Coordinating Committee on Science and Technology.
John was educated at the University of Auckland and holds a PhD from the University of Sydney. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, and the Royal Australian Chemical Institute, and Companion of Engineers Australia. He is also the recipient of Centenary of Federation medal for his strategic contribution to research and development.
- Projecting the radiation oncology workforce: Input to the Tripartite National Strategic Plan For Radiation Oncology in Australia
- The economic, social and environmental impacts of the Cooperative Research Centres Program
- Assessment of CSIRO Impact and Value 2014
- Illegal asbestos dumping: review of issues and initiatives
- Review of International IP & Registration Arrangements for the Regulation of Agvet Chemicals
- Evaluation of the National Primary Industries Research Development and Extension (RD&E) Framework
- Victorian biotechnology industry skills review
- The University of Queensland research institutes: working together
- Australia's geothermal industry: pathways for development
- Emerging technologies in agriculture