Jan Paul specialises in strategic planning, performance evaluation and facilitation. He leads the firm's rural research development and extension (RD&E), agricultural development and natural resource management practices.
He has a deep understanding of understanding of the strategic and operational dimensions of agricultural industries, regional communities and associated challenges and opportunities based on 20 years of consulting and public sector experience
Jan Paul works with industry organizations, governments and rural communities across agriculture and other industries. Jan Paul’s work includes establishing, implementing and reviewing agricultural policies, programs and projects and organizations which are aligned to improve industry productivity and sustainability.
Major ACIL Allen Consulting projects led by Jan Paul include:
- performance reviews of research organisations, including Horticulture Australia Limited, Australian Pork Limited and Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- assessment of Australia’s comparative advantage in agriculture as part of a whole of nation study led by the Australian Council of Learned Academies
- design of performance frameworks to improve investment and evaluation for MLA’s Livestock Production Innovation, Caring for our Country’s Coastal Environments and Critical Aquatic Ecosystems and the Australian Electricity Regulator and Australian Energy Market Commission
- development of Science & Research and Extension strategies for the NSW Department of Primary Industries, and strategic plans for Cotton Australia and the Australian Sunflower industry
- evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency programs such as the Commonwealth Energy Efficiency Opportunities Program, sugar industry Grower Group Innovation Program and NSW Rural Assistance Authority Farm Innovation Fund
- development of the business case for establishing a centralised data system to improve the value and use of genetics and herd performance data in the dairy industry
- creation of a model of the impact of supply chain dynamics and international competition to forecast Australian grain prices
- facilitation of cooperation and coordination between organisations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of cotton RD&E through the Cotton Innovation Network
- creation of a model to maximise sustainable production and regional economic contribution of QGC’s rural property portfolio covering more than 50,000 hectares of grazing and cropping properties in the Surat Basin.
Jan Paul is also a member of the Interim Local Management Arrangements Board for the Theodore Irrigation Channel Scheme in the Queensland which has developed the business case for transferring ownership and management of the scheme to the local irrigation community
Prior to joining ACIL Allen Consulting he led GHD Hassall’s natural resources and agriculture practice. Previously he worked for the NSW, Western Australian and Tasmanian Governments in natural resources management, agricultural development and geological surveying
Jan Paul holds a Bachelor of Science from Murdoch University and a Graduate Certificate of Change Management and Executive Masters of Business Administration from the Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities Program Review
- Performance review of Australian Pork Limited
- Agricultural levies system review: Scoping study
- Agricultural levies system review: Scoping study: Volume 2
- Panama TR4 program review
- Calculator method design: NSW biodiversity offsets fund
- Export and regional wine support package: Stage 1: Business plan