JP specialises in strategic planning, performance evaluation and facilitation. He leads the firm's agribusiness and natural resource management practices.
He has a deep understanding of understanding of the strategic and operational dimensions of agricultural industries, regional communities and associated challenges and opportunities based on 25 years of consulting and public sector experience.
JP works with industry organizations, governments and rural communities across agriculture and other industries. JP’s work includes establishing, implementing and reviewing agricultural policies, programs and projects and organizations which are aligned to improve industry productivity and sustainability.
Major ACIL Allen Consulting projects led by JP include:
- performance reviews of research organisations, including Meat and Livestock Australia, Grains Research & Development Corporation and Horticulture Innovation and SARDI
- reviewing the Panama TR4 Disease Program to establish the cost sharing principles and inform the business case for continuing the response for Biosecurity Queensland
- developing an economic model to underpin the sugar industry’s trade policy and market access strategy for the Australian Sugar Alliance
- developing the Hunter NRM and Hunter River Plans to improve the environment based triple bottom line outcomes and evidence-based prioritisation for Hunter Local Land Services
- assessing the beef industry’s post-farm gate infrastructure priorities in the Pilbara and Kimberley regions and scoping projects to increase the value of the industry for DPIRD and MLA
- conducting a stocktake of 263 Commonwealth agricultural levies to identify opportunities to improve the system for the Department of Agriculture Water and the Environment
- establishing the growth trajectory of Australia’s agriculture, fishing and forestry industries towards a $100 billion farm-gate value by 2030 and analysing the associated drivers and risks for AgriFutures
- scoping options to improve cross sector and cross RDC collaboration for the Council of Rural RDCs
- conducting a stocktake of climate change impacts and responses in agriculture to inform AGSOC on supporting agriculture to adapt to climate change for Agriculture Victoria
- facilitating national, state and regional strategy workshops on subjects such as climate change, regional agribusiness, livestock R&D, biosecurity response, sheep R&D, sunflowers, cotton innovation, red meat-eating quality and wine.
Prior to joining ACIL Allen Consulting he led GHD Hassall’s natural resources and agriculture practice. Previously he worked for the NSW, Western Australian and Tasmanian Governments in natural resources management.
JP holds a Bachelor of Science from Murdoch University and a Graduate Certificate of Change Management and Executive Masters of Business Administration from the Australian Graduate School of Management.
- MLA Independent Performance Review
- Regional agribusiness supply chains: Mackay Isaac Whitsunday
- Agriculture - a $100b sector by 2030?
- Supporting agriculture to adapt to climate change
- Panama TR4 program review
- Agricultural levies system review: Scoping study
- Agricultural levies system review: Scoping study: Volume 2