Brian is a Principal Consultant, based in Brisbane. He specialises in regulatory economics and quantitative policy analysis. He is a member of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Law Council of Australia and was Chairman of the Queensland Competition Authority from 2006 to 2012.
As Chair of the QCA Brian gained experience in the implementation of regulation and competition policy, in the areas of infrastructure access, energy regulation, water policy and local government. He now advises stakeholders in regulatory processes.
Brain's achievements include:
- academic research on the development and application of large-scale numerical models for policy analysis and forecasting
- one of principal developers of the ORANI model of the Australian economy
- academic publications on modelling
- publication of the chapter on modelling climate-change policy in the Elsevier Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modelling
- experience of using quantitative models to provide consulting services and research for clients in the public and private sectors in Australia and overseas
- economic-modelling projects in South Africa, Vietnam, China and Taiwan.
Prior to relocating to Brisbane in 2000, Brian had a long academic research career, most recently as Professor of Applied Economics and Deputy Director of the Centre of Policy Studies at Monash University.
Brian was educated in the UK and holds a B.A. from Nottingham University and an M.A. from Leicester University.